Tutorial of the Month: Steampunk Book Cover

Monique Mixed Media, Tutorials 3 Comments

Good morning, everyone!  Another month has passed, so it is time for a tutorial…and it is a special one, indeed 🙂  This month, I decided to break out the paints, sprays and metal to transform a boring old gardening book into a scrumptious steampunk book.  Here’s a look at the finished product:

I did a lot to the cover of this beauty to achieve that aged look.  I started with 2 coats of gesso.  After the gesso had dried, I glued 4 layers of the die cuts to the cover.  I then made everything look old by adding a few different colors of Lindy’s and Dylusions ink sprays, followed by a little stamping, and finally a bit of acrylic paint and Rub n’ Buff.  For more detail than this, keep on scrolling for a process video showing the creation of this book right from start to finish 🙂

Once all the inks and paint were dry, I began adding a few other embellishments.  I started with the bronze page corner protectors (#HD373-B).  I then tucked a couple of coffee dyed doilies under corners of the die cuts that I intentionally left unglued.  Actually, I only left 2 of the 4 layers of the die cuts unglued…so the doilies were kinda sandwiched in between.

In the upper right hand corner of the cover, I layered a few small and miniature gear charms over the doily.  Here’s a close look at what I did here:

On the bottom left, I opted to layer a large watch mechanism charm with some large, medium and miniature gear charms.  I then finished the lower right corner with one small gear charm and a Finnibair heart charm from Prima.

Of course, I needed to add some bronze chain (#CH481-B) to this book, and did so by anchoring the chain in the top left using a jump ring around a Tim Holtz hitch fastener.  I then added 2 more jump rings to the cover using a brad through a Tim Holtz fluted fastener.  The last finishing touches included adding a small bronze drawer pull (#HD892-B) on the right, a few Prima metal studs (also Finnibair) along the spine, and finally inking the edges of the pages using “Gathered Twigs” Distress ink.

If your interested in seeing exactly how I created this book, along with all the tools I used, you may just want to give this video a view.  I have included subtitles throughout so that you know exactly what products and tools I am using.

That about does it for this month’s tutorial.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did making it 🙂  Cheers and thanks for popping by today!

ButterBeeScraps Supplies:

Save

Save

Save

Share this Post

Comments 3

  1. Nicely done…at first I thought it was going to be way too “dark”, but after it dried and you added more layers, absolutely thought it was perfect. Loved the added chains, also. Really nice job! Thanks for sharing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *